Thursday, August 29, 2013

Now You See Me



*ing : Jesse Eisenberg, Common, Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine
Director : Louis Leterrier

I'm not wholly sure why I don't like this film, but I really don't. I think that it tried too hard to be clever, and I clearly didn't 'get it'

There is nothing wrong with the cast, I like them all and there's no one I would single out as having an 'off day' or providing a poor performance. There are many twists and turns in the script, which I would normally approve of but I'm not sure that the lack of a story is the problem. The main story is unnecessarily convoluted with a condescending need to re-cap events and explain how you were misdirected the first time you saw this. When the director keeps showing me something and then saying that wasn't what happened it doesn't take long for me to stop caring about what just happened. The result is a film that's much too long and takes far too long to get to the point so that when the final twist did happen I just didn't care anymore.

I was intrigued by the great trailer for this film, but it over-sells the actual film which was very disappointing.

Rating :
**

No comments:

Post a Comment