Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cloverfield


Cast : Michael Stahl-David, T.J. Miller, Jessica Lucas, Mike Vogel

Director : Drew Goddard


Do you like films with realistic story lines where everything is sorted at the end? If you do, then DON'T see Cloverfield. If you like films that take your breath away and have you talking about it for weeks after, then DO see Cloverfield. I, for one, thought that this was one of the best movies I had seen in a long time. It's so easy to get bored with a film and lose interest in it these days. This doesn't happen in Cloverfield (well, after the first twenty minutes anyway).

The movie is still alive in my memory as its surely one of the most, enthralling, fast-paced, action-packed, deadly and sadistic film. I call it sadistic because the director lets no one live. I loved the film thoroughly, though the staring was a bit dull and gloomy. But then, all of it happened so suddenly that I was left glued to my couch. How I wish I could have seen it in the theater! Still, even on my laptop, its really intense.


The shaky camera made me a bit woozy for a while but then, I found it okay. Just one question: Who records something when his life is in grave peril? If an attack really happened, the first thing I'd do is to drop the video camera. But here, the shaky camera made it even more intense.

The actors do a fine job. They are scared when they are supposed to be, the shock and the fear can be clearly seen on their faces. Therefore, I was glad not to find any big names as this cast was perfect.


There were a lot many things that I didn't notice as first, like how the monster landed on earth. Then I realized why they were showing the clips of the main characters to the island.

I also was surprised by the abrupt end. It was a good end but not satisfying. I so wished that the monster was killed. The action scenes were brutal, especially the way people were killed. I loved the gory deaths, especially of Marlena's . It was wicked and disturbing, yet excellent. The director showed no mercy for any of the characters.

The tag line reads- 'Some Thing has Found Us'- yes it certainly has. A fresh new type of movie that I loved.


If you like some action packed movie that is brutal, wicked, unforgiving, sadistic, merciless and ruthless, then Cloverfield is just for you.


Rating : * * * & 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment