Sunday, August 16, 2009

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Cast : Jack Nicholson
Director : Milos Forman

I downloaded this movie because I've heard people say it is very good, it's high on the top 250 on IMDB and stuff. But I just don't get what is so great about it. I know I belong to a minority when I say this but I didn’t this movie

Sure, the acting is fabulous, especially Jack Nicholson, but you need more than that to make a great movie. Nothing really happens, there are flaws in the story, and are you supposed to think that head nurse (Louise Fletcher) is evil? (Louise Fletcher won an Oscar for her performance and that has to be a joke. Am I the only who realizes her screen time was like 15 minutes?)

The main problem I had with the movie was that I didn't care for the characters at all. Sure, there were some scenes that were interesting and provided a nice glimpse into one character or the other, but, for the most part, I couldn't find a way to sympathize with any of them. Jack Nicholson did alright in this film, but, at times, I actually disliked his character and what he was doing. As for the other people in the ward, they did a good job, but, again, I just didn't sympathize with them
I didn't find the plot, flow, or atmosphere to be strong enough to make up for the apathy I felt towards the characters (and one would guess that, in a movie such as this, it's critical to one's enjoyment that they care about the characters). While there were some great scenes in the movie, those scenes just weren't enough for me to really like the movie. I thought the movie was overall, bland and uninteresting, and certainly not deserving of all the praise it received.

PS: i was shocked to see how similar few scenes were from our very own Munnabhai MBBS movie. Never ever read in reports but there was strikingly similarity between few scenes from both the movies.

Also the climax is copied in a very forgettable but a big movie Kyu Ki (starring salman nd kareena) where the hero is killed by suffocating cause being lobotomy.

Rating :

* *

No comments:

Post a Comment